Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Beating Rice

Wow. I have a lot of time on my hands at night. Haha. I'm not lonely, I'm just not tired and everyone else has school or work to get up for. That's why I have time. Just clearing that up. :P

So this morning we went to make New Years food. In Japan New Years is bigger than Christmas, so we had to take down all the Christmas decorations and put up New Years ones, which are more elaborate? I don't know if that's the right word. I can't speak English. I speak Enrish now. :) The decorations are all edible. Ok! Back to food....

We made rice cakes! It was crazy fun. We went to a...home (?) for the mentally disabled. So they have older people who can't take care of themselves and younger people whose family can't take care of them. They visit everyday and take them out when they can though. I think it's just hard with everyone working. I met two brothers, one disabled, and the other...well not. It was really sweet. I think I made a friend. Haha. And this old man said I should just live in Japan because I smile and Japanese people don't. I know what you're thinking! I smile now. Crazy.

You start off with white rice boiled in sugar water to make it sweet. When it's soft enough you pour the rice into a big bin. It's like a giant salsa grinder. I have know clue what they are called, but you can check out the pictures. Then you beat the rice into dough with a huge hammer! It's really heavy and I'm not strong enough to do it very long. (Even with my man arms Dad.) We had to rely on this guy to do it mostly. Although, the older fellows were pretty entertained and wanted to show off. Haha. While beating the rice you have to constantly knead it with cold water and make sure the hammer is wet enough so it doesn't stick. The dough will burn you if you aren't careful because it's still really hot from being boiled. I'm forgein, so you know, I can't handle it. :) They like to do things for me, it's cool. I'm lazy like that. After the dough it ready, you cut it into strips or put it in bowls. The strips are rolled and put into boxes, while the pieces in bowls are decorated. I didn't get to stay for decorating, but we took a box home to eat on New Years. The dough has to be boiled again because over the next couple of days it will become extremely hard.

And that sums up the process!!! I'm really happy I get to go do these kinds of things. This is the culture that is interesting to see. I mean, shopping malls are great, but when you are too big for the clothes and too broke to buy anything it's not as fun. :P

Today I had to buy a coat to fit over my uniform blazer. So I had to get an extra large. But I think when I go home I can get it taken in so I can wear it normally. I also had to buy snow boots because mine were getting ruined by wetness. Boo. I hate spending money on things I need. I much prefer spending it on things I want. Oh life. I don't want to be responsible.

Every night I play card games with my brother and sister. I suck at the matching game. My memory is terrible. I'm totally gonna practice playing.

Tonight we ate Japanese curry. I ate two servings. I feel soooooo full, but it made my host mom happy. I also cleaned the bath tube/shower and washed rice. Tomorrow we have to clean all day for the New Years party. I'm glad I'm treated like a member of the family. I really missed cleaning. :P

Love you guys!

P.S. I'm too lazy to edit this :) Also, more pictures are on shutterfly!!! Except I'm not really sure if I know how to use shutterfly properly...so help?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment