Friday, January 14, 2011

Just when you thought you were comfortable....

Alright. So pretty much changing host families is always weird and a little bit awkward. I mean, mostly I've learned to ignore that part and just sort of go with whatever, but sometimes...I just don't know. haha. You start getting used to a certain life style and boom, you're somewhere else. The rules always change! Some families are more traditional in a certain way, and the next with throw their own version of western culture into your life.

Sannohe. This little town is freezing. It's 10.5c below. I finally feel like wearing a coat. I don't usually get cold, but it's ridiculous. I had to walk to and from the train station with my last host family, but it was only 20-30 minutes without snow. With my new host family it's an hour (if not more) with snow. I'm afraid of frost bite. I mean, I'm sure it'd have to bee a lot colder, but it takes about the whole night + a bath to thaw them out. baths are painful when you're this cold. As for heating....well we are all relying on the fireplace. Which doesn't really help at all.  By morning I can see my breath. Most other families have individual heaters in their rooms, but here we are eco friendly (more so than the rest...I guess). I just kinda wonder how they think masks will save them from getting sick when we are sleeping in negative temperatures. Who knows. :P

This current family lived in Holland for three years, so they do have some idea of western culture. however, when they think they have an idea about our culture, it's somehow morphed into something...well completely not like ours. It's just the way we think; our entire mind set. So I'm probably interrupting their culture wrong too, it's just how it looks from me perspective. I'm just saying....like if we have a sandwich for lunch it's like...hamburger, spaghetti, shrimp, mayo, and cabbage. We eat cabbage instead of lettuce. It's crazy. Weird. I miss lettuce. Haha. No, somehow it works, but it's just strange. Because my host mom actually thinks we eat like that....now I wonder what a sandwich in Holland looks like.

I'm memorizing a dictionary. It's....well something to do. It seems like I should be further along by now, but Japanese is hard!!!

I'm going skiing hopefully this week. And my family is taking me to do kimono pictures. I'm excited. :) Should be fun. I've been super tired, but in a great mood because I'm drinking green tea all the time. my host sister is on a diet or something, so everyone has to drink it too!

I have more to write, but it's time to go! Haha.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't nice when you're floating along all nice and peaceful like and "*BAM*" you hit head on with CHANGE. Then it's ten times magnified if you were out of your sorts to begin with. Ahhh, there's nothing like a little heart awakening that keeps us kickin'. One of those jump starting, electrifying, choke on a big piece of meat, think you can't catch your breath times......AHHHHH,....Breathe it in, reap the moment, dive in. A little green tea on the side wouldn't hurt too.........you know to wash down the big meat chunk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.I think after you've finally swallowed you sort fo realize even though it hurt, it still tasted pretty good. :) And maybe it's all worth it for that full kind of feeling.

    ReplyDelete